Peppermint cape a long



Pattern: http://peppermintmag.com/other/sewing-school/
Fabric: Stash - black cord, quilting cotton.
Closing: Button and cord from a retired pair of PJs


The construction of this was fun and I really love the shoulders - which do indeed keep the cape in place.
A few possible improvements to the pattern however, (but it is free - so complaints are minimal!) -
1. They don't give you an indication of what the sizing refers to.  I made the pattern two sizes larger after I assembled the original pattern pieces but possibly over did it.  The back is quite swingy (which I like) as a result.
2. Assembling the pattern was more difficult than I'd like as I wasn't sure what to set the printer margins to (so therefore wasn't sure that I'd printed to the right size - hence my upsizing).
3. There wasn't a pattern piece for the bias binding on the neckline.  So a small bit of measuring and drawing with chalk required.

 
  I first saw the pattern on Crazy Gypsy Chronicles and started it on Monday night.  All finished and correct on Friday night - should have taken a lot less time, except for the long drawn out process of fabric selection (yes, my stash is too large).

Ms Crazy Gypsy posted a list of patterns as part of the Monthly Stitch Collective.
I can see this cape making it into actual use for dressed up occasions (and wore it to the opening of Home Sewn at the New Dowse on Saturday night - pix to come).  Not sure I can justify another one (a longer one with a hood and arm holes, me thinks).
 
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. That looks super cosy, and I love the pretty lining fabric! Nicely done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh this is so lovely! And what a pity I missed you at the Dowse opening of Home Sewn! I was hoping to make it but wasn't well enough to, but I plan on going anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The great WSBN sewing room tour

Elementary my dear Watson